Skip to main content

EEG #3

Beckett had his third EEG one day last week, which I went into completely fine. I knew what was going to happen, and I was ready. I fully expected to receive a message from his neurologist shortly after saying "great news, normal EEG!" Well that's not what happened.


I know there are many people who care about Beckett and are curious how he's doing. Lately, I've been putting posts together at the end of the month that are a complete summary of everything he's faced in that month. I feel like with this, it needs its own post because of the information that we have. Part of me doesn't want to put it out there because then it's real and people know, but the other part of me wants it out there because more people can pray for him.


This morning, I received the results from his neurologist. She told me they saw seizure like activity, and she wanted to know if I had noticed anything at home, which I have. From someone who knows nothing about what a seizure looks like, I have seen things in Beckett that I think might be but at the same time, I was never sure because I have never seen it before. I've told Regan multiple times that I feel like I'm seeing it and that I'll bring it up at our next follow up (at the beginning of December), but this EEG gave me confirmation that what I'm seeing is in fact seizure activity.


The next step is to complete a 48 hour EEG at the children's hospital which we will be getting done as soon as possible. The EEGs that he's had are such a snapshot being that they're only one hour long, so by doing a 48 hour one, they'll be able to see more of what's happening in his brain to see if they can catch an actual seizure and start him on an appropriate medication. 


Seizures are one of the more serious parts to his diagnosis and it's something we've been warned about since we were in the NICU, but I really didn't believe it would happen to him. He's almost 10 months old and there's not been any "obvious" seizures so I thought we were out of the woods. That was naive of me because I know we are never out of the woods. Having this result is really difficult, and today was a hard day, but we are on the right path to getting him the help he needs.



Until the end of the month...

Comments

  1. Could not love you or Beckett any more than I already do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year end close out deal

We had the absolute best visit with Erin and Charlie, complete with game nights, Lego building, human playgrounds, ringing in the big 2-8 with my favorite local restaurant (and people), and a Thanksgiving turkey that was less than delicious. Shortly after they left, my mom came and she helped with all the things! She watched the boys so we could finish our Christmas shopping, and forced us out on a date (which I admit its never easy for me to leave Beckett, but we don't have the chance to do it often, so we try to take advantage.) Beckett is so motivated to move. He has taken steps independently from me to Regan across the playroom, can stand on his own for about 30 seconds, and has even gotten himself up to standing from sitting a few times. He has been at this spot developmentally for awhile, but he is clearly driving this ship and has his own path he's forging.  His main choice is to crawl everywhere, so we try to keep our shoes off in the house as much as possible. Since Be

Little fall update

He's still doing all the same great things in PT and OT. He's trying so hard to stand independently, loves to hand us toys, loves to climb into our bench seat at the bay window and watch out the window, still walks along the couch holding on, and is even starting to take a few independent steps, but understandably very nervous! His therapists feel like he's sort of plateaued in his physical development for a little bit because he is becoming more cognitively aware. He's starting to understand cause/effect in play and he focuses so much during therapy on those things while being in difficult physical situations to work many things as once. We're continuing to work with his AAC in speech, and he really enjoys touching the screen, mostly for play, nothing for communicating his needs or wants. He does understand what we are saying though, and that's clear. Regan frequently asks for kisses and he will bump his head into Regan's each time he asks for one. He clear

The final countdown

It's been a minute since I shared an update on Beckett. We're finally getting some nice weather here and are able to spend more time outside comfortably,  so that's been a great change in the last couple weeks, as we are spending our last weeks here in Washington.  After initially receiving his hearing aids, we noticed a lot of high pitched noises from the aids, so I brought it to the attention of Beckett's audiologist. After being assured that was not the way they should be, we went back in and got some new molds created, and those came back a few weeks later. Thankfully, they no longer were making any noises. It's amazing the night and day difference he is when he's wearing them. When he's not wearing them, he's very quiet, much more docile, his arms are up higher as he's compensating for his lack of awareness to his surroundings. When he's wearing them he's much more vocal and engaged with his outside world. This change is he most noticeab