Skip to main content

Dad's Home (Sorta)

Hi there, its Regan. I wanted to make a post as a way to reflect on some recent events that have happened over the last week, and also to show support to my family who I owe everything to. For those who follow the blog, you'll know that I was away to The National Training Center at Ft. Irwin (NTC) for 40 days, and I returned last Wednesday. My time there was great, I learned a lot, and made connections that'll last my entire life. But the overwhelming feeling I had was the desire to return home to Lesley and the kids. I made it home, but it hasn't gone exactly like I expected it to.


On roughly day 25 at NTC, I started developing a bad cough, lost my voice, sore throat, and just felt sick overall. I passed it off as the sickness that everyone else was having and was assured it wasn't COVID. On day 30, I went to Sick Call, and they said that even if it was COVID, they wouldn't test for it since I had symptoms for almost a week by that point. They tested me for Strep, and that was negative. By day 40, I was feeling much better, got my voice back, sore throat was gone, but my cough was still present, and I was tired all day. I figured it was just being exhausted from the training event. 


I arrived back home on Wednesday around 9PM. I was extremely tired, but I had been awake since 3AM that morning, so it made sense why I was so tired. It was such a relief when I finally saw Lesley and Beckett, and I couldn't wait to wake up the next morning to greet Lincoln. I went to bed, feeling anxious but excited to finally be home with my family.


The next morning on Thursday, I woke up feeling like I didn't sleep very well. It didn't matter to me though, because I was home, and finally got to see my whole family. We had the day off work, and I wanted to spend all day holding Beckett, playing with Lincoln, and providing support to Lesley and helping her with whatever she needed. In 26 years, I don't think any moment in my life compares to seeing Lincoln again after 40 days. He was ecstatic to see me, and we played ALL day long. I was happy and right where I wanted to be, but something felt off. I was so tired all day, even after coffee, going outside for hours, and relaxing on the couch watching a movie with him. 


Friday morning, I woke up not feeling much different from the morning before. Surely by this point I would have been rested and feeling back to normal? I had to go into work for a few hours and was home by 2PM. I checked my temperature, all good. I took some allergy medicine and by that point, a thought came into my head. What if I have COVID?


I've had COVID before. Back in 2020, I tested positive, and it was the worst I have ever felt in my life. Chills, body aches, fever, sore throat, headaches, basically every symptom in the book. I compared how I felt then to how I felt at that time and told myself there is no way it was COVID. I have had both vaccines, been boosted, and maintain a fairly good hygiene routine. It didn't add up and I never get sick. That small piece of never getting sick is what made me take an at home test. I immediately went to the kitchen, did the test, and waited. The test says to wait 15 minutes, but within 5 minutes, both lines where showing, meaning it was positive. 


Panic set in. I yelled to Lesley and told her the result. We were both taken back, and my immediate reaction was to leave the house. I tried going to the hospital on post to get another test, but they said they only do it from Monday-Thursday. My only option was to isolate at home and wait till Monday to get a test. 


I by no means want to play "woe is me". I know there are families that are separated much longer than we have been, some who will never see their loved ones again. But this is not how I wanted to return home. Knowing that I could have infected my wife and sons weighs heavy on me. All I wanted to do a week ago was come home and support my wife to whom I owe everything to. My ability to prioritize my career over hers, the clean house I come home to everyday, her unending love for me and my sons, all because she takes pride in being a mother and wife.


As I sit here in my bedroom, reflecting on the last couple days, I want her to know that if there was a Mother/Wife Championship, she would win MVP. I will spend the rest of my life letting her know how much she means to me, but I will never be able to match the level of care and love she provides. I can try, but she is the Michael Jordan of care and I can only hope to be the 6th Man of the Year at most. Thank you Lesley, for everything you do. You are the shining light during dark times, and I will always support you with anything you ever need. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year end close out deal

We had the absolute best visit with Erin and Charlie, complete with game nights, Lego building, human playgrounds, ringing in the big 2-8 with my favorite local restaurant (and people), and a Thanksgiving turkey that was less than delicious. Shortly after they left, my mom came and she helped with all the things! She watched the boys so we could finish our Christmas shopping, and forced us out on a date (which I admit its never easy for me to leave Beckett, but we don't have the chance to do it often, so we try to take advantage.) Beckett is so motivated to move. He has taken steps independently from me to Regan across the playroom, can stand on his own for about 30 seconds, and has even gotten himself up to standing from sitting a few times. He has been at this spot developmentally for awhile, but he is clearly driving this ship and has his own path he's forging.  His main choice is to crawl everywhere, so we try to keep our shoes off in the house as much as possible. Since Be

The final countdown

It's been a minute since I shared an update on Beckett. We're finally getting some nice weather here and are able to spend more time outside comfortably,  so that's been a great change in the last couple weeks, as we are spending our last weeks here in Washington.  After initially receiving his hearing aids, we noticed a lot of high pitched noises from the aids, so I brought it to the attention of Beckett's audiologist. After being assured that was not the way they should be, we went back in and got some new molds created, and those came back a few weeks later. Thankfully, they no longer were making any noises. It's amazing the night and day difference he is when he's wearing them. When he's not wearing them, he's very quiet, much more docile, his arms are up higher as he's compensating for his lack of awareness to his surroundings. When he's wearing them he's much more vocal and engaged with his outside world. This change is he most noticeab

Little fall update

He's still doing all the same great things in PT and OT. He's trying so hard to stand independently, loves to hand us toys, loves to climb into our bench seat at the bay window and watch out the window, still walks along the couch holding on, and is even starting to take a few independent steps, but understandably very nervous! His therapists feel like he's sort of plateaued in his physical development for a little bit because he is becoming more cognitively aware. He's starting to understand cause/effect in play and he focuses so much during therapy on those things while being in difficult physical situations to work many things as once. We're continuing to work with his AAC in speech, and he really enjoys touching the screen, mostly for play, nothing for communicating his needs or wants. He does understand what we are saying though, and that's clear. Regan frequently asks for kisses and he will bump his head into Regan's each time he asks for one. He clear